Open PDF version to print
OAC 3301-34-02 Statement of Purpose:
The purpose of the rules in this chapter is to prescribe conditions governing the issuance of excuse from school attendance under section 3321.04 of the Revised Code, to provide for the consistent application thereof throughout the state by superintendents, and to safeguard the primary right of parents to provide the education for their child(ren). Home education must be in accordance with law.
OAC 3301-34-03 Notification
(A) A parent who elects to provide home education shall supply the following information to the superintendent:
(1) School year for which notification is made: 20_________
(2) Name of parent: __________________________________________________
Telephone number (optional): (______)___________________________________
(3) Name, address, and telephone number (telephone number is optional) of person(s) who will be teaching the child the subjects set forth in Paragraph (A) (5) of this rule, if other than the parent.
Telephone number (optional): (______)__________________________________
(4) Full name and birth date of child(ren) to be educated at home:
(5) _____ Assurance that home education will include the following, except that home education shall not be required to include any concept, topic, or practice that is in conflict with the sincerely held religious beliefs of the parent:
(a) language, reading, spelling, and writing;
(b) geography, history of the United States and Ohio, and national, state, and local government;
(f) physical education;
(g) fine arts, including music; and
(h) first aid, safety, and fire prevention.
(6) ___ Brief outline of the intended curriculum for the current year. Such outline is for informational purposes only. (attached)
(7) List of
_____ correspondence courses,
_____ commercial curricula, or
_____ other basic teaching materials that the parent intends to use for home education. Such list is for informational purposes only. (attached)
(8) ____ Assurance that the child will be provided a minimum of nine hundred hours of home education each school year.
(9) ____ Assurance that the home education teacher has one of the following qualifications:
(a) a high school diploma; or
(b) the certificate of high school equivalence; or
(c) standardized test scores that demonstrate high school equivalence; or
(d) other equivalent credential found appropriate by the superintendent; or
(e) lacking the above, the home teacher must work under the direction of a person holding a baccalaureate degree from a recognized college until the child's or children's test results demonstrate reasonable proficiency or until the home teacher obtains a high school diploma or the certificate of high school equivalence.
(10) The parent(s) shall affirm the information supplied with his or her signature prior to providing it to the superintendent.
Signature and Date
Signature and Date